Given my daily occupation, I’m constantly in front of the latest fashions hitting stores- whether in person, or online. It’s TOTALLY hard to control my own personal urge to shop (lord, please give me strength!), but I do have two kids to eventually put through private school and college and obviously, that takes priority.
Each season, I make a list of things that I am missing, or need to replace in my own wardrobe. Yeah, that white shirt that’s not exactly white anymore should probably go… as should those jeans that are embarrassingly worn out in the knees… perhaps that pilling sweater, too? Oh well, you get the point. Just like when I pack, I try to stick to a consistent color palette when I shop so that I can then mix and match the items all season long creating many more style options and ultimately, saving money.
My next pointer is one you’re probably sick of hearing… when building a well edited and timeless wardrobe you really should consider each purchase carefully in terms of cost per wear. I always splurge on good quality leather boots, shoes, handbags and outerwear, while trying to find the best deals for most everything else. Those splurges are the things you’ll end up using the most and generally speaking, they should last you years to come.
Lastly, one great styling tip that can be a great $$$ saver- repurpose! That shirt dress above? Well, instead of wearing it under a cute little blazer, why not leave it open and layer it on top of black skinny pants and a fitted tee? Such a cute look. Fashion should be creative and fun, so don’t be afraid to think outside of the box… well, eh, the shirt dress in this case.
What’s on YOUR shopping list for this fall?
p.s. Not sure if you noticed, but I’m all about the oxblood/sky blue color combo that Taylor Swift inspired this weekend! Don’t know what I’m talking about and/or need a little refresher?! Well, get the full scoop HERE!
1) Wedding season is now in full force and I think we all need a video like this to keep those brides/grooms/bridal parties from taking themselves too seriously. I’m fully enamoured with the rogue bridesmaid who refuses to go down with the bridal party ship! #yougogirl… Literally… GO! Get the H*** off that dock. (nymag.com)
2) Another Link Love, another amazing IKEA hack job. This one is probably one of my favorites and seems like a project even a novice like me can tackle successfully. How sweet would that dresser be in a little (or big) girl’s room?! (vintagerevivals.com)
3) If you’re all set with your indoor furniture and outdoor furnishings are what you’re after, check out these 10 sources for good, cheap outdoor furniture! (apartmenttherapy.com)
4) Yes, I will drop everything to sit and watch a re-run of Sex & The City for the gad-zillionth time. Yes, my early 20’s were shaped by the Sex & The City culture sweeping NY. Yes, I have eaten cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery (honestly, they’re not that good). All that being said, I have no problems admitting that I have a love/hate relationship with the fictional Carrie Bradshaw. Apparently, there are 21 reasons why Carrie Bradshaw is actually really annoying. Feel free to add to this list. (buzzfeed.com)
5) Zara is one of those retail brands/establishments known for fast fashion- providing masses with a lower cost interpretation of high end runway styles. Coincidentally, this fast fashion is stylistically on point, cut well and available at a great price. No wonder Zara has become THE retailer where fashion insiders flock. (nytimes.com)
6) Summer grilling doesn’t have to mean gut busting burgers and hot dogs. Why not try out these delicious and light teriyaki shrimp burgers this weekend? Your bikini will thank you. (skinnytaste.com)
7) I purchased THIS DRESS on a whim thinking that between two summer weddings, wedding related parties/showers and an upcoming trip to NYC, I’ll definitely get some wear out of it. I love it- even more so now that it’s on sale (under $65)! The color in person is a little more lime and a little less lemon. A perfect match to the margarita I’ll most likely be drinking while wearing it. (ASOS.com)
So what are you guys up to this weekend? My kids are both officially on summer break and a few days without anything scheduled will be a nice change of pace. I’m hoping to get a headstart on some house cleaning, blog posting, and reorganizing. I know, exciting stuff. Don’t get too jealous.
See you back here on Monday!
It was another gorgeous stunner of a weekend and we definitely took advantage of the sunshine- perfect margarita weather! Is it a bad thing that we’ve gone through a bottle and a half of tequila in 2 weeks? Good… didn’t think so either.
Maybe it’s a direct result of all of this glorious weather we’ve been having (or maybe the tequila), but it seems that when I get dressed each morning all I want to wear are soft, feminine flowy skirts and dresses. The longer and more flowy the better. Don’t worry, my three-year-old (very opinionated) daughter approves. The other morning when I came down the stairs she turned to me and said, “Mommy, you look like a fairy princess!” Apparently, the summer fashion bar is set pretty high now and I can’t disappoint. So, to that end, I’ve pulled together some of my favorite maxi-dresses so that we all can look like beautiful fairy princesses everyday.
1) Topshop Limited Edition Rose Embellished Maxi Dress / 2) Saloni Iris Dress / 3) ASOS SALON Tshirt Maxi Dress / 4) Rhyme Los Angeles Kali Swirl Print Maxi Dress / 5) KUT from the Kloth ‘Annabelle’ Maxi Dress / 6) ONE by Pink Stitch Resort Maxi Dress / 7) ZARA Combined Maxi Dress
What styles will make YOU feel like a fairy princess this summer?
No matter where I look, I’m seeing such great spring/summer footwear options! I wish:
1) My shopping budget was bigger.
2) I actually had places to wear these beautiful shoes because I could really go to town.
Of all of the sandal mayhem in stores now, there is one style that I’m seeing repeated both in editorial styling, as well as street style. No, don’t worry, it’s not THESE. I still hold strong to my opinion that they’re straight-up ugly. It’s the two-piece sandal. The combination of minimalism, sophistication and comfort make these a winner. In flat version, or heeled you really can’t go wrong.
Here are some of my favorites available in stores now:
Indulge your feet in a relaxing pedicure and you’ll be ready to go. Simple, easy and clean. Just how every Spring season should feel.
How are YOU freshening up your shoe collection this season?
With the daylight savings time change and slightly more temperate weather, I think I’m finally ready to start thinking Spring. Unfortunately, my almost-transparent pale skin is not cooperating with this plan, but that’s nothing a little professional spray tan won’t fix! With all of the in-store and online new-arrivals it’s hard to narrow down all of the new season wares to just a few key pieces, but I think I did a pretty good job. Nothing too Easter egg, pastel-ly, nothing that screams “THIS IS SPRING!” too loudly, just a few updated items that will help transition your closet into warmer temps and sunnier days.
Here are my picks for your new Spring 2014 wardrobe:
white cropped top / pink skinny trousers / stripe tee / pink mini skort / white embroidered jacket / fringe scarf / marbled shift dress / colorblock pumps / python printed leather slipper shoe / suede fringe handbag
drapey printed burnout T / destructed sexy boyfriend jeans / striped knit sweater / pleated print skirt / leather sandals / moto jacket / infinity scarf / leather flap clutch / crossbody leather purse
cotton sweatshirt / crepe flare skirt / leather ‘Lanie’ stacked heel / linen baseball shirt / gathered chambray slim leg pants / ‘Crystal Melange’ necklace / sunglasses / animal print loafer / cotton trench coat
What’s on YOUR spring shopping list?
1) Since we’re wrapping up “Bridal Week” here on Le Blog, I thought I would finish strong with a roundup of the best under $1K wedding dresses that don’t look cheap! Now imagine how you’ll spend all that cash that you just saved on a honeymoon suite upgrade… just sayin’! (refinery29.com)
2) Each year, my sister-and-laws and I make a migration to the Premium Outlets in our area. The day is long, many miles are walked and way too much money is usually spent. We wouldn’t have it any other way. If that doesn’t motivate you to make the trek to the outlet stores, here are 10 reasons why outlet shopping is the best shopping! (huffingtonpost.com)
3) Canadian Tuxedo and President of the United States. Those are two phrases that I never thought would appear in a news story together. Alas, I was wrong. Find out what is causing a fashion uproar among the Washington political set HERE. (racked.com)
4) As the winter is slowly drawing to a close (I PRAY!), I’m trying to squeeze in my last dose of cold weather comfort food. This Dijon and Cognac Beef Stew is the perfect culinary solution. (smittenkitchen.com)
5) I am a total germaphobe. Even more so, now that I have kids. While I am thankful they are potty trained, this new bathroom development has opened up a major can of germ phobia for me especially when we are out and about. Thank goodness for the kind folks at Charmin. The geniuses behind the cushy toilet paper developed a new app called “SitorSquat.” It allows people to rate public restrooms and provides users with a detailed map of nearby potty options and their cleanliness status. (charmin.com)
6) If you’re looking to invest in one new shoe to update your summer look, THIS should be it. (zara.com)
7) Ok, so the genius behind the “Cronut” (a.k.a. Dominique Ansel) has done it again. May I introduce you to the chocolate chip cookie shaped like a shot glass. For milk, obviously. WHY HAS NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE?! (buzzfeed.com)
I’m SO thankful to be wrapping up this week. My family is in town for the weekend so I’m looking forward to the extra sets of hands, eyes and ears. No matter how old you are, at times, everyone needs their mom and dad!
Ever since Fashion Week wrapped up, I can’t seem to get enough of the baby pink and pale blush hues that I saw all over the street style photos and recaps. It was all so soft, feminine and dare I say it, Spring-ready, that I couldn’t help but start my online hunt for the perfect pink pieces to add to my wardrobe. I can just picture how lovely they’d look paired with my grey and white basics. Or, if we’re going to get a little crazy, maybe a bold navy!? Decisions, decisions…
Here are just a few of my favorite pink finds:
1) J Brand skinny jeans / 2) River Island faux fur cropped coat / 3) Topshop sweatshirt / 4) Nike sneaker / 5) Equipment silk blouse / 6) Mackage crossbody purse / 7) Topshop midi skirt / 8) MICHAEL Michael Kors watch / 9) Oasis earrings / 10) Zara dress / 11) Jeffrey Campbell suede boots
And just for fun, here are a few of my favorite “Shades of Pink” looks:
via Elle Canada
via MTV Style
via Gal Meets Glam
via Savoir Flare
So, so pretty… I need me some pink. ASAP.
How will YOU be wearing pink this Spring season?
“Every year the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future… this is known as Fashion Week.”
-Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)
Today marks the kickoff of New York Fashion Week (#NYFW) when fashionistas from all over the world congregate together in New York’s Lincoln Center and throughout venues on the city’s west side for a runway, media, retail and cocktail frenzy. Oh, and let’s not forget about the fashion. In this Polar-Vortex winter which will never end, designers have already moved on to Fall 2014.
Since I can remember, I’ve been dying to attend Fashion Week. As a young-wide-eyed-post-college-twenty-something, New York Fashion Week epitomized all that was glamorous and exciting about the fashion industry. Designers, models, editors, industry-insiders, photographers, hair and makeup gurus all frantically buzzing in and around the tents turning midtown Manhattan into a sophisticated sea of click-clacking stilettos. Now, 10+ years later and with much more real life under my belt, I understand that while beautiful and glitzy, the business of fashion is just that: business. Designers and luxury goods corporations need to churn out new designs to make money and just as importantly, they need US to want to spend that money. Thus begins the dog-and-pony show that we call Fashion Week. Obviously, I’m still dying to go! Duh! Just in case a last minute invite comes my way, I’m 100% prepared.
This is what I’ll be wearing:
Uniqlo silk polka-dot blouse / MHL by Margaret Howell cropped sweater / Rag & bone/JEAN boyfriend jeans / Zara navy leather booties / Vintage faux-fur coat / Catarzi fedora hat / Acne Studios navy scarf / Celine tri-color purse / Rolex watch / Hermès bangle bracelet / J Crew bracelet / Baublebar “Middleton” earrings / Jules Smith midi ring / Gold stacking rings
So, are YOU excited for New York Fashion Week? What are some trends you hope fade away in 2014? What new trends do you hope make the cut? I would love to hear your opinions in the comments below!
Another day, yet another Polar-Vortex school cancellation. Mama needs a vacation. Immediately! At this point, I would consider going anywhere as long as the temperature breaks 80-degrees on a consistent basis and there is actual sunshine for more than a brief, fleeting moment. While jet-setting may not be in my near future, it has been an nice escape simply looking at warm weather clothing and swimwear. My pasty white skin is far from ready for sun exposure, but I’m definitely ready for some of these new fun clothes.
For those of you with an upcoming beach/poolside getaway (#beyondjealous), you’re in luck! I rounded up some of my favorite vacation finds which mix-and-match to perfection. All you’ll need is some great tunes and a good book and I got the rest covered!
Dress – Forever 21 maxi dress
Camisole – Calypso St Barth camisole (currently on SALE & and additional 50% off!)
Shorts – Rebecca Minkoff boyfriend shorts
(*I may have cheated a little and threw in a denim jacket (J.Crew) not on my original packing list for chilly nights!)
How fantastic are those bikinis?! In addition to making me feel a little less depressed about the cold, this warm weather packing post also reminded me to sign up for spin class this Friday!
How are YOU beating these winter blues?