One of my favorite parts of the cooler seasons is getting to fully engulf myself in the warmest knitted layers. While the thought of wrapping myself in only the softest oversized sweaters and scarves is definitely VERY appealing, there are definitely a few guidelines to follow to keep from looking like a shapeless marshmallow puff. Speaking of (edible) marshmallows, I’m probably the only person on earth who actually dislikes those things. Meh.
The main takeaway from this little lesson in styling is that proportion is key. While the sweater should look like something that you borrowed from one of the boys, the end result should look ALL girl: refined, tailored and slimming.
Take your favorite little dress (in the case above, a fitted shirt-dress) and layer it up with a cozy cardigan and fall ready boots. This look works because while the sweater may be oversized, the smaller scale of the dress and your long, lean legs, keep the outfit balanced.
Now, here is my version:
Get creative with your accessories and create an hourglass silhouette using a great belt! A little cinch at the waist is all you need to give yourself a great shape and highlight your waistline when layering a cardigan.
Check out my look below:
Cardigan: Titty Peggy // Turtleneck: J.Crew // Leather Pants: Rag & Bone // Sunglasses: Karen Walker // Belt: Charles & Keith // Clutch: Clare Vivier // Flats: Joan & David (sold out, THIS is similar)
An oversized cardigan can go from casual to office appropriate when paired with a structured pencil skirt and lady-like top. Again, it’s all about proportion, so to balance out a bulky sweater, keep the rest of the look streamlined and fitted. A pointy toe pump is also a great way to elongate your legs and give you the illusion of a few extra inches of height.
My take on this feminine style:
Now, onto some housekeeping… I’m currently deep into a total website overhaul and way over my head when it comes to HTML coding and CSS… Ummm, yeah, no I idea what those stand for, either! I must apologize in advance for any “under construction” technical difficulties you may experience over the course of the next few days. Hopefully, I’ll get my tech savvy act together and we can return to our happy, special place. Except this special website place will totally blow your mind with it’s beauty and you’ll never want to leave. Kind of like the shoe department at Bergdorf Goodman.
(header image source)
Well, I’m back from a gorgeous weekend and what a better way to start the week than with some talk of a new clothing and accessory brand that I can’t seem to get out of my head (or virtual shopping cart). The company is called EVERLANE and they’re unique in that they cut out the middleman to bring you their products at a major savings when compared to similar quality brands. Did you know that the average t-shirt you purchase is marked up an average of 8x it’s manufacturing cost!? It kind of makes me throw up a little in my mouth and definitely think twice before I restock my favorite white tees. Since EVERLANE employs an online only, retail approach, they can bring their great designs straight from their factories to your door!
Now, let’s talk style. EVERLANE is the type of clothing that I picture Jennifer Aniston “throwing on” on a weekday morning before meeting up with Justin Theroux to discuss world politics over a vegan breakfast, green juice and chai tea. That’s very specific, but my point is that the clothes and accessories are all very simple, well tailored basics that when combined make a killer wardrobe that can convince your friends that you really DID “just wake up like this.” Soft crew neck sweaters that skim the body, silky blouses that can go from work to cocktails and the perfectly slouchy tees. You KNOW how serious I am about a good t-shirt. Definitely check out their totes too… they seem like they’d only get better with age. Rather than me continuously blabber on, why don’t you take a look for yourself.
***Disclaimer: I did not receive any form of compensation from EVERLANE for this post. I just love the brand and products and want to share my good finds with YOU!
1) Love her or hate her, Kelly Cutrone has made a name for herself in the world of fashion and public relations… oh, and reality television, too. Get some insights into this “tough-as-nails” lady and perhaps pick up a few “Girl Boss” tips of your own! (racked.com)
2) Speaking of “Girl Bosses”… did you know that your sleep position could impact the way you go about your day-to-day tasks, job, relationships, etc? Well, read THIS and find out the hows and whys. (nymag.com)
3) We’ve all been ingrained with the concept of the food pyramid and how a healthy diet calls for 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily. But do you know what a single serving actually looks like? I think you’ll be surprised. (fitsugar.com)
4) Whether you’re looking to score a great mid-century piece, or offload Grandma’s old couch, there is a right and wrong way to do this on Craigslist. Get the buyer/seller scoop directly from the pros who do it best! (apartmenttherapy.com)
5) When temperatures drop and it’s time to move our entertaining indoors, be well prepared with this list of 15 guest-pleasing hors d’oeuvres for the Fall! (food52.com)
6) A few months ago, I sampled a Tom Ford fragrance called Velvet Orchid in the beauty department of Bergdorf Goodman. While I didn’t pull the trigger in July, I’m STILL thinking about the scent. Which is sort of the point of a good perfume, no? Maybe Santa will take note. (hellooctober.com)
7) Ok, I’m going to divulge a stylist/fashion secret. Listen closely. All of those oversized, cozy tartan scarves that you see on Pinterest- you know, the ones that look like they cost a bundle and turn a plain t-shirt and jeans, into a “Pin-Worthy” ensemble?! Yeah, well those scarves are from Zara. And under $50. And guaranteed to sell out. THIS is the one I’ve had my eye on for the past few days… (zara.com)
Now, I’ll let you in on another secret. Today is my birthday. I’m turning “30-ish,” as my husband eloquently noted in his card. A far cry from the “54” my 3 year-old daughter insists I’m turning. Thanks a lot!!! While birthdays in my 20’s used to mean wild nights out (24 was a DOOZY!) and hungover next-mornings in, these days it’s definitely more understated and low-key. Kind of like me… most of the time. 🙂
Have a great weekend, all.